Vegan Chilli with rice or corn/nacho chips
Dairy, egg, nut, wheat & gluten free
This hearty vegan meal is delicious enough to serve to even the most devoted meat eaters. This chilli dish is packed with flavour without needing to add too much salt.
This delicious dish also provides plenty of nutrients, lean protein, vitamins A & C; iron as well as being high in both soluble and insoluble fibre.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1-2 long fresh red chillis, depending on preference
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 50g sachet of tomato paste
- 2 yellow peppers, diced
- 250 g dried red lentils
- 2 x 400 g tins of red kidney beans, drained
- 2 x 400 g tins of black beans, drained
- 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- Serve with rice, corn nacho chips or baked potato
- Fry the finely chop onions, garlic, chilli (seeded if you prefer) in a large heavy-based pan with oil over a medium heat. Fry for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the spices and dried herbs, then fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, beans, chopped peppers, followed by the chopped tomatoes and the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low heat and let it simmer for at least 1 hour, or until thickened and reduced, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes, then season to how you like it.
- Serve with rice, corn nachos or baked potato; lime wedges and avocado. For a dairy option – sour cream or grated cheese can be added.