Sweet potato, spinach and chickpea curry
Milk free, egg free, wheat & gluten free, nut free, soya free and vegan
A quick and easy one-pot meal, this mild and sweet curry is free from all the major allergens and suitable for vegans too. This recipe is a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and Iron.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 large orange flesh sweet potatoes
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon of dried chilli
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 sachet (40g) of tomato paste
- 200 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- 100 g baby leaf spinach
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and cook for approximately 4 minutes over a medium heat until translucent.
- While the onion is cooking, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into roughly 2cm cubes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and chilli to the onion. Stir in the sweet potato mixing it with the spices and onions. Add the tomato puree, coconut milk. Cover, and bring to a gentle simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, test the potatoes are tender and add in the chickpeas and spinach. Wilt for a minute and ensure the chickpeas are heated through. Serve with boiled rice.