Pomegranate and Chickpea Pilaf
Free from gluten, eggs, peanuts, dairy, soy and tree nuts.
This dish is healthy as a vegetarian light meal or as an accompaniment to a meat, chicken or fish dish. It’s wholegrain and packed with fibre and antioxidants, a perfect dish for the warmer days that are approaching.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 175g brown basmati rice
- 375ml vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Salt and pepper
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Handful each of mint and parsley, chopped
- Dry roast the coriander and cumin seeds and then grind with a pestle and mortar.
- Heat half the oil in a pan and fry the onion over a medium-low heat for 4 minutes. Add the roasted spices, turmeric and rice and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, cover the pan and cook over a low heat until the rice is tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the rest of the oil and gently fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the pomegranate molasses and chickpeas and cook for another minute to combine. Add this to the cooked rice and season.
- Toss in the herbs and pomegranate seeds just before serving.