Nut free granola barshttps://allergyfoundation-old.local/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Nut-free-granola-bars.png
Nut free granola bars
Wheat free, egg free, nut free, milk free
These delicious granola bars make a great addition to lunch boxes or as a tea-time treat. Flaxseeds are used to bind the ingredients in the absence of egg. Flax seeds are very high in fibre and provide good amounts of protein. They’re also rich in fat and one of the best plant-based sources of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid.
- 3 tablespoons ground golden flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seed kernels, ground (without the shells)
- 1 cup instant cooking oats (NOT regular whole oats)
- 1/2 cup superfine oat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a square baking dish (8 x 8) with parchment paper cut to fit and lay both directions.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed and 6 tablespoons of water and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the sunflower kernels and process about 30-45 seconds until a fine flour forms. Be careful not to over process or it will start to turn into a paste.
- In a large bowl, add all of the sunflower flour, along with the oats, oat flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir well.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Add the syrup to the bowl of reserved flaxseed mixture.
- Stir everything together for a good minute until it all comes together in a moist, sticky batter. The more you stir, the stickier it will get. This is good, as that flaxseed helps to bind the bars.
- Add the batter to the lined pan and spread out evenly with the back of the spoon. Place a square of parchment paper on the top and smooth down.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the edges are looking golden brown and the middle is firm to the touch.
- Cool for 1 hour before lifting them up with the parchment paper and cut into desired shapes.