Nut free chocolate spread and “Nutella-like” cheese cake
This month is World Nutella Day and for those with nut allergies you needn’t feel left out with this nut free chocolate spread and Nutella-like/nut free cheesecake.
Cheesecake is synonymous with New York City but, contrary to popular belief, it originated in Ancient Greece. One of the most versatile desserts, it can be topped with fruit, crushed biscuits or the ultimate indulgence… Nutella®.
Nutella® contains hazelnuts, however home-made and now commercially available nut free chocolate spreads, can be used as a substitution.
Nut free chocolate spread
Nut and egg free
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 250g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Spread sunflower seeds on baking sheet. Roast for 5 min or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt together chocolate and coconut oil in double boiler or microwave on low power. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, mix sunflower seeds, sugar and salt until a thick, smooth paste forms.
- Add chocolate mixture and vanilla, and blend until smooth. Transfer to jars, and cool.
Store at room temperature.
Nut free “Nutella-like” cheesecake
Nut and egg free
- 250 grams digestive biscuits
- 75 grams soft unsalted butter
- Nut free chocolate spread (see recipe above)
- 500 grams cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 60 grams (8 tablespoons) sifted icing sugar
- Break the digestives into the bowl of a processor, add the butter and a tablespoon of nut free chocolate spread, and blitz until it starts to clump.
- Tip into a 23cm/9inch round springform and press into the base using the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and then add the remaining chocolate spread to the cream cheese mixture, and continue beating until combined.
- Take the springform out of the fridge and carefully smooth the cream cheese chocolate spread mixture over the base.
- Place the tin in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight.
- Serve straight from the fridge for best results. Decorate with halved strawberries or raspberries.