Low Carb Gluten Free Sandwich Bread
- Free from: gluten, wheat, nuts, soya
- Allergy Sense, page 203
- 40 minutes
Makes 1 small loaf (12 slices)
- 6 large free range eggs
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp glutenfree baking powder*
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Whisk together the eggs, xylitol and melted butter.
- Sift together in the coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and blend until thickened.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased bread tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the sides pull away from the tin and are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling – about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
*By its nature, baking powder is gluten-free because it doesn’t have wheat, rye, barley, or triticale, the four types of grains that contain the protein. However, some brands might add starch to commercial products to protect against early chemical reactions occurring in storage, and that starch isn’t necessarily free from gluten.