Milk, egg, nut, wheat & gluten free
- ¾ cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2/3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup dairy free margarine, e.g. Cardin or Ole*
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flours, xanthan gum, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Mix well to combine.
- In large microwave safe bowl, melt coconut oil, adding in cocoa and sugar and mix well to combine. Stir in applesauce and vanilla essence.
- Blend in dry ingredients until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and spread to edges of pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Cut into squares or using metal heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Beat together the vegan margarine with 1 tbsp of warm water, vanilla essence until smooth and creamy and then add the sugar beating on a medium setting. Extra warm water (1-2 more tablespoons) may be required to think the icing mixture.
- Add red food colouring and sprinkles to decorate.
* While margarine is not dairy-based, many types contain trace amounts of animal products, usually in the form of whey or lactose. If you have a dairy allergy or are a strict vegan, you will want to use only those types of margarine that are free of even small amounts of dairy. In contrast, butter is always a dairy product made from cow milk.