Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread similar in style and texture to pizza. Focaccia can be served as a side dish, as a sandwich bread or a base for toppings. The addition of garlic and rosemary enhances the flavour and improves the nutritional value of this bread.
Rosemary contains compounds, such as rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid, which have been shown to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial effects.
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary sprigs
- Pour the yeast into the warm water and let stand to dissolve for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and two tablespoons of the oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Work the yeast mixture in using your hands, then turn out onto a well-floured board.
- Knead for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if the dough is too sticky. Shape into a round and roll out into a circle with a 12-inch diameter.
- Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet, cover with a tea towel, and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- When the dough has finished rising, press shallow holes into its surface with your fingers, at even intervals. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top evenly, followed by the garlic, coarse salt, and rosemary.
- Bake the focaccia for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bread is golden on top and sounds hollow when tapped.
Optional Focaccia Toppings
Garlic & rosemary herb focaccia is a classic favourite, but you can switch things up with adding the following toppings:
- Cherry tomatoes or sliced tomatoes
- Parmesan (add before or after baking) – *if cow’s milk protein tolerated*
- Crumbled feta cheese – *if cow’s milk protein tolerated*
- Pesto (add before or after baking)
- Sliced roast courgettes
- Toasted pine nuts
- Sliced lemons or lemon zest
- Sun-Dried tomatoes
- Caramelised onions