A great South African staple – one way of getting yellow veggies down the hatch
- 1 tin of 250g of cooked sweetcorn (not creamed)
- 300g of cubed and steamed pumpkin (reserve the water for steaming)
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sugar, xylitol or fructose
- 1 pinch of salt
Reserved water from steaming pumpkin
Chickpea flour on standby if the mixture is too runny
Mix the veg, cornflour, cinnamon, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl, adding the reserved water if the mixture is too dry or not bonding. It should form a stiff paste – you may want to blend the mix lightly with a hand-held blender to break up the kernels.
Form the mixture into patties and shallow-fry in hot oil for 2 minutes a side or until a crisp crust has formed.
Recipe from “More Allergen-Free Recipes for the Whole Family” By Sylvie Hurford