Ratatouille with rice
serves 2 to 4
An easy-to-prep dish with lots of good antioxidants and vitamins. Free of common allergens.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 225 g zucchini, chopped
- 175 g eggplant, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup brown rice
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and basil, cook gently for 5 minutes to soften (do not brown).
- Add the zucchini, eggplant and garlic. Fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and tomato paste, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, put the rice into a pan with 1 cup cold salted water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Serve the ratatouille with the rice.
Recipe from “Allergy Sense for families: a practical guide” by: Meg Faure, Dr. Sarah Karabus and Kath Megaw