- Fish and seafood are an important part of the human diet around the world. Many people are trying to eat healthier and are reducing the meat they eat and eating fish instead.
- In Southern Africa there are over 2 000 different species of fish.
- If you are allergic to fish, you are not necessarily allergic to all seafood.
Seafood is the broad term used to describe 2 groups of sea animals:
- Crustaceans: prawns, shrimp, rock lobster (crayfish).
- Molluscs: mussels, oysters, squid, calamari and octopus.
If you are allergic to crustaceans, you are not necessarily allergic to molluscs, and vice versa.
People with fish / seafood allergy do not have “iodine allergy”!