Eating green leafy vegetables and herbs is a great way to boost one’s micronutrient intake. What better way to do it than adding a flavoursome pesto to pasta, drizzle on salads and veggies, chicken, fish, or as a spread on sandwiches with mozzarella cheese.
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 lemon, zest and juiced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can omit in cases of milk allergy)
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- In a food processor, add garlic and pulse until minced. Add basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. Pulse to combine. Drizzle in olive oil and pulse, then taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an air-tight jar or container. Pesto will keep about a week in the refrigerator. Alternatively, divide into portions and freeze in air tight containers.