Tofu Scramble, the classic hearty breakfast or brunch recipe
Free from egg, dairy, nuts and gluten.
A well-made tofu scramble is a classic hearty vegan breakfast.
So what makes a good tofu scramble?
- A lovely spice mixture.
- Hearty veggies that add texture and flavour.
- The right tofu texture.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 16 mins
Total Time: 26 mins
Calories: 75 kcal
Ingredients for the spice mix:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast*
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black salt or regular salt
- ¾ teaspoons tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
For the tofu scramble:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boxes extra-firm silken tofu or firm tofu
- 1 can black beans (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- Add all of the spice mix ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the canola oil. When hot, add the mushrooms, pepper, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 8 minutes until everything just starts to brown.
- Add the tofu blocks and break them apart with your spoon until you get a nice scramble texture with lots of chunks. Stir in the spice mix and black beans. Heat through for another 5 – 8 minutes until hot.
- Serve with gluten free toast.
*What is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is a natural and wholesome seasoning derived from deactivated yeast and has a tangy cheese like flavour. It is a complete protein and particularly rich in B vitamins a great vegan and vegetarian alternative to Parmesan. Sprinkle on popcorn, soups, stews, casseroles and salads to enhance their flavour.