Flourless Decadent Christmas Chocolate Cake
Free from gluten, nuts, soya (contains eggs and dairy)
- 200 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200 g dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 70 g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/gas 3. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with a little butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Rest a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water on a medium-low heat. Break in the chocolate, roughly chop and add the butter, then allow to melt, stirring occasionally until smooth and glossy.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the heat, stir in the coffee and set aside to cool slightly.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites between two large bowls. Whisk the egg whites for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and beat for 7 minutes, or until pale. Sift in the cocoa powder and 1 pinch of sea salt, then gently fold through to combine.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, then gently fold through the egg whites until smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and place in the hot oven for around 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack, then serve with a dusting of cocoa powder and fresh berries.