Allergy in schools
On the 6th February 2017, Western Cape Education Department sent out a circular to all Western Cape Schools supporting our ‘Allergy in Schools Policy’. Further to our active advocacy efforts, we anticipate the national roll out to follow soon. Many schools have been enquiring about training and actions plans. Discussion documents relating to the circular can be found here.
Brief summary of the “Allergies in schools” policy
The policy aims to:
- Establish a chronic illness action committee at every school.
- Ensure every child with a chronic health condition is identified and has both a chronic care plan and an emergency treatment plan, signed by their doctor and including a photo ID.
- Implement measures to reduce exposure to exacerbating factors for those at risk.
- Increase the availability and accessibility of emergency medication.
- Staff training in identification and treatment of severe health emergencies.
Please view our allergies in schools policy.
There are online 2 modules for Training.
Schools should encourage all educators to complete training in allergy awareness (Module 1: Food allergy for your school community) This is a video module.
Members of the committee and educators of learners with severe allergies must complete training in allergy awareness, prevention and response (Module 2: Management of food allergy in schools, production in progress) and maintain records of the annual completion of such training. A username and password will be provided for this module and the learner is able to download a certificate of completion following an assessment. To register today, please contact the Allergy Foundation of South Africa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download discussion documents
⤓ Download Action Plan - Anaphylaxis SIZE: 134.63 KB
⤓ Download Action Plan - Astma SIZE: 147.05 KB
⤓ Download Form 1 Chronic Care Plan SIZE: 343.84 KB
⤓ Download Form 2 Emergency Action Plan SIZE: 350.18 KB
⤓ Download Form 5: Receipt of medication(s) from parent/guardian SIZE: 333.25 KB
⤓ Download Form 7: Parents / doctors approval for learner's self-administering of medication SIZE: 332.80 KB
⤓ Download Form 8: Checklist for schools SIZE: 330.90 KB